Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Contessa Parties

The idea behind Urban Contessa was to sell my creations at home parties. Kinda like Tupperware ... sans plastic. I call them Contessa Parties (I know, not very imaginative).

I come to your home and set out my wares. You invite your friends to drop by any time between, say, 2 and 4. They shop to their heart's content and go home with their goodies.

It soon became apparent that people were not quite seeing everything. Inevitably someone would see something that their Hostess had purchased and say "Hey! I didn't see that!"

So the Contessa Party evolved to include an actual demonstration. Followed by shopping. I didn't really want to go this route, thinking that people get bored, don't really care about the spiel.

But it turns out that this is what women expect when they go to a home party. They expect to sit down with a wee cuppa, listen to a complete stranger pitch their goods then take time to pick and choose what they want. It's a bonding moment with their friends.

I also discovered they spend more this way.

Alright. Whatever works. Who am I to argue?

However, I do have some ideas on expanding my clientele. More on that later ...

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your Contessa Fiestas. ;) And thanks for stopping by my blog the other day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Hilary. I really like the term "Contessa Fiestas". Mind if I use that? I'll give you credit on my website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be honoured if you did. :)

    I just noticed your location on your profile page. I pass through Ajax via GO train every couple of weeks or so, on my way to Oshawa and beyond. I'll probably think about Contessa Fiesta next time the train stops there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Hilary! I'll do a blog about that soon and link to your blog. I want to make some changes to my website first. Your name and blog will be mentioned there too!

    ReplyDelete