Sunday, June 2, 2013

Drapery and Pillows for Sarah


A friend asked me if I could make her some drapes. It's not something I normally do. Keeping my product line simple and minimal is what keeps me sane. I work a ridiculous amount of overtime, I spend every Saturday looking after my aging inlaws and Sunday is the only day I can catch up with my own house chores.

But for Sarah, I'll make an exception. Have you met Sarah? She's adorable, and it's impossible to say No to her. Not to mention, I don't think she'd accept a No.

So, I agreed to make drapes for her.

She said she would buy the fabric, lining and grommets. All I had to do was cut and sew. Not a bad deal, I think.

I cut out the drapery panels yesterday.

My in-laws have an open basement with tons of room to spread out, so I thought I'd take advantage of that and bring the fabric to cut.

I brought all the tools I thought I'd need: measuring tape (both construction and fabric), rotary cutter, pinking shears, ruler, weights, snippers. In the end, I didn't need all of that, but it doesn't matter. Much better to have it all than to wish I'd brought something.



Today, I'll have to cut out the pieces for the pillows.

Oh, did I mention she wants pillow cases, too? No problem. Urban Contessa is all about customer service.

Of course, I had a moment of panic when I opened the bag of fabric she sent to me. I spread it all out to get a better look:



Then she sends me a text message: The drapery fabric is the one with the pattern. The pillow fabric is the solid green fabric.

Um...green?

I don't know how many of you know this, but I am blue-green colour blind.

For instance, the drapery fabric you see there is blue to me. And the "green" pillow fabric...not so green. That looks yellow to me...mustard yellow. Dijon mustard, to be precise.

I asked Chris which one was green and he looked at me like I had three heads. He points at the yellow fabric. "That one."

"Oh. Uh...thanks."

Maybe a business that relies on colour isn't such a good idea.

I should probably stick to writing. Black and white. Simple.

Did I mention I'm writing my first novel? See why I need to simplify my life?

1 comment:

  1. LOL...if its any consolation...the "green" fabric looks yellow to me too :) Good job btw.

    ReplyDelete